Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Games We Play




So I’ve decided to teach Bub how to play games. The boy is two now, and it’s about time to learn some useful life lessons gaming can teach, such as:

1.       Talking shit both efficiently and crushingly.
2.       Winning means never having to say ‘Nice game.’
3.       It’s only cheating if you get caught. 

We started with the easiest game I could think of, Hide-and-Seek. This went through several different incarnations, sub-games, as he processed the apparently overly-complex rules of the game. These are the interpretations of those games, as told by Bub:

1.       Count-and-Seek. Daddy count to ten (Good job, Daddy!). Why is he counting? I count now? Bub count. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten. Yesssss! I did it!
2.       Stand-There-Like-a-Hump-and-Seek. Ooooh, more counting! Why are your eyes closed? Daddy sleeping! Daddy, wake up! Oh, Daddy up. Found me? Yay, Daddy found me! High five, Daddy!
3.       Hide-Behind-Table-and-Jump-Out-and-Seek. Where’d Daddy go? Ooh, ten! There he is. I found Daddy! Yesss. Bub wins!

So we switched roles…

4.       Fast-Count-and-Seek. Onetwothreefourfivesixseveneightnineten! Ooh, Daddy running. I found Daddy! Done! Yessssss!
5.       Hide-and-Build-Tower-With-Bankie-and-Seek. …eight, nine, ten! Where’d Daddy go? Daddy in kitchen! Nope. Daddy in pantry! Nope. Daddy in living room! Nope. Ohhh, blocks. Hello, blocks. Bankie, build tower blocks? Ooookay! Oh, beautiful tower. Yay, Bankie!

No comments:

Post a Comment